Do more complex, major gifts confuse you? Do you wonder how to land stock, IRA, real estate, or other significant gifts for your nonprofit? If you are just getting started understanding these things, don’t miss this episode of the NP Local podcast hosted by Jason Cass and Scott Niermann, so you can begin talking with donors about gifts of appreciated assets, including real estate, personal collections, valuables, and more!
- Scott mentions that the first rule for obtaining a tax advantage when making a charitable gift is to donate it to a 501c3 public charity. (4:39)
- Scott explains the importance of discussing year-end giving with donors’ tax advisors and ensuring timely paperwork. (7:46)
- Scott discusses the concept of bunching gifts, which is a tax planning strategy where a donor combines multiple years of giving in order to exceed the standard deduction in that tax year. (9:57)
- Scott mentions the significance of Donor Advised Funds (DAF) for regularly setting aside money for charitable purposes. (11:28)
- Scott advises fundraisers to consider marketing appreciated assets such as stock, bonds, mutual funds, and real estate to avoid capital gains. (13:27)
- Scott discusses the concept of Qualified Charitable Distributions (QCDs) from IRA accounts. (18:30)
- Scott explains the Qualified Charitable Distribution, which allows donors to directly give up to $100,000 per year to a qualified charity. (20:22)
- Jason mentions that one of the motivating factors behind putting the podcast together was the various changes happening in the organizations covered by NP Local. (22:07)
- “If you’re a fundraiser out there, and again, you’re working towards your year-end strategies, be sure that you’re talking with people or marketing appreciated, stock bonds, or mutual funds. Appreciated investments, including real estate, when gifted directly to charity, help the donor avoid the capital gain.” – Scott Niermann
- “One of the things that ignited Scott and me to be able to put this podcast together was the different changes that are coming into nonprofits, social services, all of these different organizations that NP local covers.” – Jason Cass
- Fidelity Charitable: Charitable contributions
- U.S Chamber of Commerce: How Do Charitable Donations Impact Your Taxes?
- CNBC: How to maximize your tax deduction for charitable donations
- Charity Navigator: Tax Benefits of Giving
- Reach out to Jason Cass
- Reach out to Scott Niermann – Scott can assist with church, nonprofit, and commercial insurance in Tennessee and Georgia.
- The Insurance Alliance serves organizations in Illinois, Missouri, Indiana, Kentucky, and Wisconsin.
- Niermann Coaching and Consulting
- NP Local Podcast