In this episode of the NP Local podcast, Jason Cass and Scott Niermann, continue discussing the “missing middle”—an issue for almost all nonprofits. This 2008 research informs nonprofit managers on the issue and proposes several concepts and strategies to address this problem.
- Scott explains that the “missing middle” was the money that has been missing in the nonprofit industry. (2:16)
- Scott mentions that the basis of the good middle donor strategy is that is that if you are going to get someone to write a bigger check to your organization, they are going to need to know a little more about the organization. (6:21)
- Scott shares that if you are doing person-to-person marketing, you’ve got to get your message out, and you can never get it out too much. (9:48)
- Scott explains that your board is a steward of your organization, and you want them to understand that because there is legal liability involved in board service. (13:23)
- Scott explains that patience and listening are the highest levels of the pyramid, but having them takes time and does not happen overnight. (15:00)
- Scott talks more about listening to your donors to make an impact. (17:51)
- Scott explains that the internet, while important for giving a level of legitimacy to an organization, is not the answer to everything. (19:47)
- “When there’s not a computer at your fingertips, you want to get your message in people’s hands. And folks prefer, I mean, I believe in multi-channel marketing of all types and strands.” – Scott Niermann
- “I think some folks will understand, you know, however you view your responsibility in fundraising and life. We’re all stewards of something. And so your board is a steward of your organization.” – Scott Niermann
- “The internet is not the answer to everything. Yes, I believe, as a level of legitimacy as an organization, you need to have those bells and whistles available. But it’s not, don’t use that as a cop-out that we’re going to blast out this E-newsletter with a giving button.” – Scott Niermann
- Reach out to Jason Cass
- Reach out to Scott Niermann – Scott can assist with church, nonprofit, and commercial insurance in Tennessee and Georgia.
- The Insurance Alliance serves organizations in Illinois, Missouri, Indiana, Kentucky, and Wisconsin.
- Niermann Coaching and Consulting
- NP Local Podcast
- Sea Change Strategies – The Missing Middle Report
Other articles on similar topics or on these reports: