In this episode of the NP Local podcast hosted by Jason Cass and Scott Niermann, they learn about the newly released report on American philanthropy and some key takeaways for nonprofit professionals and fundraisers. A public service of the Giving USA Foundation and Indiana University Lilly Family School of Philanthropy, the Giving USA report is published annually and is the longest-standing report of its kind.
- Scott shares the report called the Giving USA Report. (2:18)
- Scott mentions how much charitable giving grew according to the report. (3:07)
- Jason mentions why the report is proof that rich people give. (4:09)
- Scott shares what nonprofits are saying and what he has experienced. (4:50)
- Scott explains where the wealthier households give. (5:37)
- Scott shares one of the interesting things about the infographic. (8:24)
- Scott shares a key takeaway from Stelter group. (14:39)
- Scott mentions the leaky bucket syndrome. (16:24)
- Scott mentions a book called Donor-Centered Fundraising, by Penelope Burke. (16:46)
- “Foundations were more generous with their grant funds, they had less strings attached. Most in the nonprofit world know this but, I just want to reiterate that growth because that is substantial and it’s a very positive thing for the future.” – Scott Niermann
- “Every organization has an online presence. There are certain things that legitimize you as an organization and having a website. These days, if you’re a nonprofit, having a giving portal on that website is absolutely essential.” – Scott Niermann
- “There’s something more personal about a phone call than just a transactional letter. It takes human resources, time and volunteers to get those things done if you’re a small shop. Planning for that and developing those processes to do so really can pay off.” – Scott Niermann
- Reach out to Jason Cass
- Reach out to Scott Niermann – Scott can assist with church, nonprofit, and commercial insurance in Tennessee and Georgia.
- Nonprofit Insured
- The Insurance Alliance serves organizations in Illinois, Missouri, Indiana, Kentucky, and Wisconsin.
- Niermann Coaching and Consulting
- Giving USA
- Giving USA 2021 infographic
- Candid article re: Giving USA 2021
- The Stelter Group article re: Giving USA 2021
- Guidestar Directory of Charities (and categories of nonprofits)
- Donor-Centered Fundraising book by Penelope Burk